Special Ceremonies at GC43: What to Wear?
There are several special ceremonies taking place for people attending GC43. You are invited to dress in your traditional clothing (whatever that might be for you) for any, or all, of these events. (Please note this is not a requirement for participation.)
Here is a snapshot of the special ceremonies at GC43:
- A sacred fire ceremony on July 22, 2018 at 6:15 am. Elder Cliff Standingready will lead the ceremony at Lakeview Park in Oshawa, ON. There is transportation for Commissioners to the site. A bus will leave the UOIT transportation roundabout at 6am sharp.
- Opening worship and the Indigenous Edge of the Woods ceremony that will begin on July 22, 2018 at 9:45 am. Please note that Edge of the Woods will take place a few minutes walk from the main plenary space and down a hill. The terrain is a bit uneven and people usually stand throughout the ceremony. The event will also be live streamed into the plenary, where there is lots of seating available. In addition, the organizers have asked that people not take pictures during the ceremony.
- A Celtic Sunset Ceremony for the Conferences and Presbyteries on July 24, 2018 from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm.
- A youth-led ceremony—Being Good Relations: Children of the Apologies—acknowledging the United Church apologies to Indigenous peoples and residential school survivors from 7:30 pm to 9 pm on July 26, 2018.
- Closing Worship—Let There Be Bread—on July 27, from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm. Our new Moderator will be installed and preach on John 6:1-14. Many voices will represent our denomination and ASL interpreters will make this worship accessible.
You can also follow along on our livestream, which will be on our YouTube channel. A button will also appear on the home page of this website linking to the livestream.