Listening Session 4d: Intercultural and Dominant Privilege, Administration of Sacraments
Presentation of proposals, questions, and answers to clarify issues.
Intercultural and Dominant Privilege Lenses
These proposals invite us into discussion about what it means to disengage dominant privilege and move toward being a more equitable and accessible church. A variety of approaches are brought forward: some as specific as creating the role of “Equity Monitor” at meetings and investigating the use of “text to speech” technology on the United Church website, and others, more comprehensively laying out a list of actions for all levels of the church. Some of the proposals will require Commissioners to consider how directive they want the General Council to be with other councils of the Church. The proposal on Migration, which has been grouped with these proposals, would address racism and privilege from a different perspective.
- ANW 09 - Racism, Racial Discrimination, Racial Justice and White Privilege
- BQ 03 - Equity Monitor
- BQ 04 - Descriptive Video
- BQ 05 - Integrated Accessibility-Equitable Standards
- BQ 08 - UCC to Work with UNESCO's Canadian Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism & Discrimination
- GCE 16 - PMM 19 Migrant Church Migration
- SK 05 - Living Into Transformation - Continuing the Journey as an Intercultural Church
Administration of Sacraments
These proposals seek a broadening of the circumstances in which someone may be authorized to administer the sacraments. Another proposal which would mean that the commissioning of diaconal ministers entitle them to administer the sacraments has been recommended for consideration in consent, but two proposals included here under this theme would go a step further to provide that Diaconal Ministers would automatically retain the right to administer sacraments after retirement, even if not in a call or appointment. The other proposal would create the possibility of Sacraments Elders being authorized to administer sacraments even where there is a settled or appointed minister serving the congregation. This proposal also is related to the “Small and rural ministries” theme.
- MNWO 03 - Sacramental Licence for Retired Diaconal Ministers
- ANW 04 - Granting Right to Administer Sacraments to Diaconal Ministers at Time of Commissioning
- ANW 10 - Sacraments Elders Policy
- GCE 20 - Sacramental Licence for Diaconal Ministers