Listening Session 2: Intercultural and Dominant Privilege Lenses
Presentation of proposals, questions, and answers to clarify issues and implications. Also includes the first set of Moderator nominee speeches.
These proposals invite us into discussion about what it means to disengage dominant privilege and move toward being a more equitable and accessible church. A variety of approaches are brought forward: some as specific as creating the role of “Equity Monitor” at meetings and investigating the use of “text to speech” technology on the United Church website, and others, more comprehensively laying out a list of actions for all levels of the church. Some of the proposals will require Commissioners to consider how directive they want the General Council to be with other councils of the Church. The proposal on Migration, which has been grouped with these proposals, would address racism and privilege from a different perspective.
- ANW 09 - Racism, Racial Discrimination, Racial Justice and White Privilege
- BQ 03 - Equity Monitor
- BQ 04 - Descriptive Video
- BQ 05 - Integrated Accessibility-Equitable Standards
- BQ 08 - UCC to Work with UNESCO's Canadian Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism & Discrimination
- GCE 16 - PMM 19 Migrant Church Migration
- SK 05 - Living Into Transformation - Continuing the Journey as an Intercultural Church